Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Attention and contemplation

It's nine months since I jotted this down, and left it on my desktop for further consideration. In that time, all I've changed is the verse layout. I think it says what I wanted to admit about the difficulties I have with retaining that 'single eye' that St Ephrem speaks of.

A man of poor attention span

I fix my gaze amazed

a while only

on the latest marvel of glory

to reveal itself

before my wondering eye.


Why I do not long linger

is because there’s so much

on which to ponder


A world made for wonder


Whether one or many things

enchant

is neither here nor there.

To be open to the Infinite Beauty

astonished, grateful

Is all I care.


Perhaps only when my world slows

to a singularity

will I at last remain

undistracted in awe


JKK; 19.08.08


No comments: